Portfolio 5.3: Comprehension Questions
Answer each of the following questions in complete sentences. Keep in mind that some questions may have two parts to answer. You must include an answer to each question. This assignment must be typed and will be turned in with portfolio 1.
- Who is the figure that Goodman Brown meets in the forest? How is he characterized?
- How does Goodman Brown view his actions in relation to his family history? How does his companion respond to Brown’s claims about his family?
- How much influence does Goodman Brown’s companion claim to have?
- After his encounter in the forest with Goody Cloyse, Goodman Brown tries to resist the devil’s temptation by raising what issue?
- At what precise moment does Goodman Brown lose his faith?
- How does Goodman Brown react to his wife and others upon his return to Salem? Why? Is he justified in acting this way?
- Do you think what Goodman Brown experiences is reality or a dream? Why?
Portfolio 5.3: Response Essay
Let’s review three possible themes of “Young Goodman Brown.”
- A strict moral code and overemphasis on the sinfulness of humankind can foster undue suspicion and distrust.
- Evil can infect people who seem upright.
- One man’s virtue is another man’s sin, while one man’s sin is another man’s virtue.
You will need to choose one of these three themes and write a response that is three-fourths to a page long about how “Young Goodman Brown” fits your chosen theme. Use the discussion material on symbolism and any more symbols you find to back up your answer. This essay must be typed, double-spaced, and turned in with portfolio 1. Be sure to save your assignment as a .doc or .PDF file.
Answer not yet available
To have this questions done by our pool of professional writers, kindly send us an email.
Email to firstname.lastname@example.org