Assignment #4 – R. Williams Construction Co. v. OSHRC
• Read the R. Williams Construction Co. v. OSHRC case. You are to write a 3-4 page
report that answers the following questions:
1. What was the legal issue in this case?
2. Explain what the employer did or failed to do that violated the OSH Act.
3. Explain why it was “unavailing for Williams to argue that employees must take
greater care to avoid placing themselves in harm’s way.”
4. Explain what role, if any, employees’ actions should have in determining liability
under the OSH Act.
The format of the report is to be as follows:
o Typed, double spaced, Times New Roman font (size 12), one inch margins on all
sides, APA format.
o Type the question followed by your answer to the question.
o In addition to the 3-4 pages required, a title page is to be included. The title page
is to contain the title of the assignment, your name, the instructor’s name, the
course title, and the date.
The legal issue in this case was based on a trench collapse during construction process. One person died on the spot while another was injured on the accident. After the allegations, OSHA conducted investigations and cited the company for safety violations. The company was accused by OSHA for not implementing safety measures that will protect employees. As described in the case, the company failed to instruct its employees in the recognition and avoidance of unsafe conditions and in the regulations applicable to their work environment as required by the OSHA law. Based on the reports, it is evident that the victim of the incident did not have any training from the OSHA department as required. The company was accused of failing to play its role and responsibility of protecting the welfare of its employees (Stolzer, Halford, & Goglia, 2008)…….