- Unreasonable compensation: The taxpayer receives a salary of $10 million composed of a $5 million base salary plus 5% of gross receipts not to exceed $5 million. The total gross receipts of the building supply business are $300 million. The NPA by the IRS disallows the salary based on 5% of gross receipts as a constructive dividend.
- Stock redemptions: During the audit period, the construction company redeemed 50% of the outstanding stock owned by the client and 50% of the stock owned by the client’s son, leaving each with the same ownership percentage of 50%. The IRS treated the redemption as a distribution under Section 301 of the IRC.
- Rental loss: The rental loss results from a building leased to the construction company owned by the client and his son.
Use the Internet and Strayer databases to research the rules and income tax laws regarding unreasonable compensation, stock redemptions treated as dividends and related party losses. Be sure to use the six (6) step tax research process in Chapter 1 and demonstrated in Appendix A of your textbook as a guide for your written response.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Based on your research and the facts stated in the scenario, prepare a recommendation for the client in which you advise either acceptance of the proposed adjustments or further appeal of the issue based on the potential for prevailing on appeal.
- Create a tax plan for the future redemption of the client’s stock owned in the construction company that will not be taxed according to Section 301 of the IRC.
- Propose a strategy for the client to receive similar amounts in compensation in the future and avoid the taxation as a constructive dividend.
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.
- Include a cover page containing the title of the assignment, the student’s name, the professor’s name, the course title, and the date. The cover page and the reference page are not included in the required assignment page length.
The specific course learning outcomes associated with this assignment are:
- Analyze tax issues regarding corporate formations, capital structures, income tax, non-liquidating distributions, or other corporate levies.
- Prepare client, internal, and administrative documents that appropriately convey the results of tax research and planning.
- Create an approach to tax research that results in credible and current resources.
- Use technology and information resources to research issues in organizational tax research and planning.
- Write clearly and concisely about organizational tax research and planning using proper writing mechanics.
Answer not yet available
To have this question done by our pool of professional writers, you can resubmit it here